The Congregation of Christ which meets at 4005 North Emerson Avenue, strives to worship God according to his word-not our tastes or preferences. Although we encourage and lift each other up during the worship service, God is the audience-not us. The worship service is just that, worship to God. We are not the object of worship, nor are we there to be entertained.
When you come to the assembly, you will witness the acts of worship as listed in the Bible. These acts are as follows—
- Meeting on the first day of every week– Acts 20:7, Hebrews 10:25
- Praying-James 5:16, 1 Timothy 2:1-2, Acts 2:42
- Singing with the only authorized instrument–our vocal chords-Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16. Everyone is to sing-not just a select few.
- Partaking of the Lords supper-Acts 2:42, Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 11:20-32. This is where members of the Lord’s body are to remember the sacrifice of Christ, the “perfect sacrifice”.
- Giving as we have been prospered. NOTE: Members are to give liberally and cheerfully, as they have prospered. 1 Corinthians 16:1-2, 2 Corinthians 8:1-5. Visitors are NOT obligated or required to participate in this act.
- Teaching and preaching– 2 Corinthians 4:5, 1 Timothy 4:11, Acts 11:26