January 24th, 2012
Calvinism-What Does The Bible Say?
1. Total inherited Depravity—
- “Brethren, do not be children in your thinking, YET IN EVIL BE BABES, but in your thinking be mature.” 1 Cor. 14:20 NAS (emphasis added)
Paul is obviously NOT telling the congregation in Corinth to be evil, so why would he use babes in this example if all people are inherently sinful at birth?
- “And they said, “Cornelius, a centurion, a RIGHTEOUS and GOD-FEARING MAN WELL SPOKEN OF by the entire nation of the Jews, was divinely directed by a holy angel to send for you to come to his house and hear a message from you.” Acts 10:22 NAS (emphasis added)
How could Cornelius be described as RIGHTEOUS and a GOD-FEARING MAN before his conversion if, at that time, he was totally depraved and unable to do anything spiritually good?
Conclusion from the Word of God: The doctrine of “Total Inherited Depravity” is a FALSE doctrine that is NOT found in the Word of God.
2. Unconditional Election—
- “This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our savior, who desires ALL MEN to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” 1 Tim.2:3,4 NAS (emphasis added)
If God unconditionally elects those who are saved and desires that ALL MEN to be saved, then why are only some men saved instead of all men?
- “Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brethren, what shall we DO?” And Peter said to them, “REPENT, and BE BAPTIZED (IMMERSED) in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Acts 2:37, 38 NAS (emphasis added)
If God’s election is unconditional, then why did Peter tell them two things that they should DO? Would it not have been better for Peter to explain that there was NOTHING they COULD DO and that salvation is unconditional?
Conclusion from the Word of God: The doctrine of Unconditional Election is a FALSE doctrine that is NOT found in the Word of God. Salvation IS INDEED CONDITIONAL and the given conditions MUST be met in order to be saved.
3. Limited Atonement—
- “For there is NO PARTIALITY with God.” Rom. 2:11 NAS (emphasis added)
If there is NO PARTIALITY with God, then how can “atonement” be limited to only the “elect”?
- “And He himself is the propitiation for our sins; and NOT for ours ONLY, but ALSO for those of the WHOLE WORLD.” 1 John 2:2 NAS (emphasis added)
If “atonement” is limited only to the “elect, then how can Jesus possibly be the propitiation for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD?
Conclusion from the Word of God: The doctrine of Limited Atonement is a FALSE doctrine that is NOT found in the Word of God. Jesus died so that ALL PEOPLE can have the OPPORTUNITY to be saved and NOT exclusively for those that will be saved.
“Irresistible Grace” and “Once saved, always saved” will be answered in part 2.